May 9, 2019 is the annual Give Hastings Day. With your help, we can keep providing books to children through the Dolly Parton Imagination Library. The Dolly Parton Imagination Library was incorporated in the Adams, Nuckolls, Clay, and Webster counties in 2013. The program inspires a love of reading by guaranteeing that all children enrolled will have quality books in the home. At no cost to the family, an age-appropriate book is mailed monthly directly to the child from enrollment to their fifth birthday.
Define Long Term Success:
• Reading books help essential brain development, with 90% of eventual adult brain growth is achieved the first three years of a child’s life
• A child develops language skills long before being able to speak, literacy skills long before they are able to read, and reading books help ripen healthy physical and emotional responses
• Helps ensure children enter kindergarten with a strong ability to read and an eagerness to learn
• Strengthens the literacy level in our community
• Promotes parent-child interaction and bonding
• DPIL communities report families read more to their children, reading scores have improved, children are eager and well prepared to go to school
• The United Way of South Central Nebraska has decided that investment in early childhood literacy will provide one of the finest ‘return on investment’ we can develop.
Define Short Term Success:
- Increase children’s access to books
- Encourage parents to read more often to their children
- Support children in the development of a love for reading
- Better prepare children to begin school