What is 211?
There may be a time that you or someone you know needs help, but don’t know exactly what kind of assistance is available – let alone how to access it. 211 can assist by help clarify your personal situation and then utilize an extensive up-to-date database to determine the best resource(s) for you. 211 is where you go when you don’t know where to turn for help, acting as a single point of contact to thousands of social service programs.
211 is a free, comprehensive information and referral system linking Iowa and Nebraska residents to health and human service programs, community services, disaster services and governmental programs. 211 is a one-stop source of information for people looking for services.
For example, 211 can offer referrals to these types of services:
- Basic Human Needs Resources: food pantries, clothing closets, shelters, rent assistance, utility assistance
- Physical and Mental Health Resources: health insurance programs, Medicaid and Medicare, maternal health care, medical information lines, crisis intervention services, support groups, counseling, substance abuse and intervention rehabilitation
- Employment Supports: financial assistance, job training, educational programs
- Support For Older Americans And Persons With Disabilities: adult day care, aging and disability resource centers, congregate meals, respite care, home health care, transportation, homemaker services
- Support for Children, Youth and Families: child care, Head Start, family resource centers, holiday assistance, parenting, summer camps and recreation programs, summer meal programs, mentoring, protective services
- Volunteer Opportunities and Donation Services
This is a small portion of services that are available in the 211 database. Utilizing a comprehensive computerized database of more than 13,000 nonprofit and public programs and services, trained Information and Referral Specialists give personalized attention to each caller. Specialists can refer callers to a variety of service that best meets their needs. 211 is the number to call when you aren’t sure who to call.
Go to the website for more information! http://211iowa.org/
The 211 App: Find Help in a Tap!
The power of the 211 database is now available in the palm of your hand with the free 211 Iowa smartphone app. Simply download the app for free by following these simple steps:
- Click a link below to find the app on the App Store or Google Play, or search for 211 Iowa.
- Install the App on your phone
- Begin using by tapping Current Location, entering your zip code, or your city.
That’s all there is to it! No registration or account to set up… the 211 service is 100% free and confidential.